The hike into Pine Canyon was prompted by a search for a cave. However, upon reaching the likely area of the cave, I was short on daylight (for the return hike) and weary under the weight of equipment. I was carrying…
• Bogen tripod weighing 19.6 lbs
• Nikon D300S Camera/Quantum rig weighing 10.4 lbs.
• Red Wing boots weighing 4.4 lbs (2X heavier due to conditioning, inserts and replaced Neoprene soles)
• Shoulder bag and contents weighing 10.6 lbs.
• Water weighing 5 lbs
So I was carrying 50 lbs. of “extra” weight.
There are areas of looming rock faces that are not easily or quickly climbed—as can be seen in the above photo taken near the top-end of the trail. At any rate, the cave would have to wait for another day.
The original image is a Tagged Image Format File (TIFF) with a file data size of 35.1 megabytes (MB).
For display on this web site the TIFF was duplicated and the duplicate re-formatted as a Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPG/JPEG) image with a file data size of 5.71 MB. To approximate detail visible at the time of capture the image was sharpened as necessary and resampled via the Photoshop Bicubic Sharpen algorithm. The re-sampling increases the image resolution from 300 Dots Per Square Inch (DPI) to 360 DPI.
Unless otherwise noted the image was corrected to offset color shift and balance. This restores black (shadows), white (highlights) and neutral gray (neutral mid-tones).
• An unnumbered image is the only one of the subject matter.
• A number corresponds to the sequential order in a subject-matter-related sequence.
• The letter “B” indicates color correction to approximate what was visible when the image was captured.
• The letter “C” indicates enhancement beyond an approximation of what was visible at the time of capture.